Saturday 26 October 2013

Origami boxes

last year for the teachers at school I did the usual chocolates, bath products etc. This year I'm going for the more handmade, personal approach. To that end I've made lots of these boes which I'm going to fill with little handmade trinkets (more on those later) But these boxes are so versitile and can be used for so much I thought I'd share how to make them. :)

1. Start with a square of paper. I'm using 11x11 (then 12x12 for the lid)
2. Fold in half, then unfold and fold in half the other way. Unfold fully
3. Using the fold lines as a guide fold the corners to meet in the middle.
4. Fold one side in to the middle, do the same for the other side.
5. Fold the top and bottom into the middle.
6. Unfold so that only two corners meet the middle as shown below.
7. This is the tricky part. Take a hold of corners A dn B as shown below, and fold them in so they meet.
8. It should look like this.
9. Take the triangle now sticking up, and bring down inside the box.
9. Do the same on the other side and you now have one half of your box :)

To do a lid, simply start off with a piece of paper 1 inch bigger than the one you started with. So an 11x11 bade would have a 12x12 lid, 5x5 base, 6x6 lid etc etc. You can decorate however you like and they really are quite sturdy. I got one in the post last year my daughter stole to put her hair clips in and its still in good condition. :) Hope you have fun making these!

1 comment:

Thanks for your comments. :)